Friday, August 15, 2008

Good Luck, man

So, I went to a party tonight. Turns out it was actually a going away party for a friend of the host's; a young Iraqi man who received a full ride scholarship to study engineering here and just graduated, so he has to go back.

I really was just amazed at this guy. Besides having amazing english, he was just a Nice Dude (tm). While he regrets having to leave (he that out of the few places in the states he's visited, Montana is the best), he wants to join the US Army Corps of Engineers as a civillian because he really believes in what they are doing over there. Apparently, it's not all IEDs and cowardly suicide bombers; some real progress is being made, and people's lives are being improved.

He's not the only person I've heard that from; however, he is the only Iraqi from who I've heard such sentiments. Then again, he's the only Iraqi I believe I've ever spoken to.

Anyways, I'd like to compliment him on his vision, drive, and devotion to a cause he believes in. It's also impossible to state what a nice guy he was, and the impression I got of him as a man in the few hours I met him is indescribable. I really hope he does well, and failing that, I hope he doesn't get blown up.

Dana, you are one hell of a dude, and I strongly respect what you are doing, and what you stand for as a man. May fortune favor you, and may the fruits of your labors not go unrewarded.

No comments: